Skip to main content

Secondary navigation:

Spring 2019 Registration and Scheduling Information

Office of Student Services

Please note: Some of these files are Adobe Acrobat® (PDF) formatted files. To view them, you will need to download the free Adobe Acrobat file reader.

Spring 2019 Schedule of Courses (PDF)

Visit Course Information and Schedule for the most up-to-date course information including times and room assignments. BC students and faculty should access the Course Information and Schedule link through for textbook, syllabi, and course evaluation information, if available.


Undergraduate Registration

The spring registration period for undergraduates begins November 8 and continues through January 23, 2019 at 11:00 p.m. January 23 is the last date for undergraduate students to add a course or drop a course online. February 15 is the last date for undergraduates only to drop a course in their Associate Deans’ offices.

Back to the top

Degree Audits

A degree audit is a computer-generated analysis that enables an undergraduate (except for Woods College of Advancing Studies) or Law student and his or her advisor to assess the student’s academic progress and unfulfilled requirements. Students in the Woods College of Advancing Studies can meet with an advisor and obtain a degree audit at any time.

The degree audit is a valuable tool for academic planning because it matches the courses that the student has taken with the requirements of his or her degree program or anticipated program. Students receive degree audits each semester prior to registration and have access to actual and simulated degree audits through Students are responsible for completing all the requirements listed on the degree audit prior to graduation.

Review your audit carefully in consultation with your advisor before you register. If a course on your degree audit is not being counted correctly because of a system error, contact your Academic Recorder (MCAS: Terry Lepore; LSOE, CSOM, and CSON: Caitlin Walsh). If you want a course to count for a requirement that it does not usually fulfill, obtain a “Degree Audit Course Substitution and Waiver” form from the Office of Student Services, and take it to the department for approval. Return the form with the appropriate stamp to the Office of Student Services in Lyons Hall for processing.

Back to the top

Graduate Registration

The spring registration period begins November 7 and continues through January 23, 2019 at 11:00 p.m. for all graduate students. January 23 is the last date for graduate students to add a course or drop a course online.

Back to the top

Doctoral Continuation

Students whose departments require permission need to obtain an override for Doctoral Continuation and process it in the Office of Student Services.

Back to the top

Special Students

Graduate students including those using teaching vouchers who are not currently in a Boston College degree program and who want to take graduate level courses must apply as special students to the appropriate graduate school. Student teaching vouchers should be sent to the Lynch Graduate Office at the time of registration in Campion 135.

Back to the top

Undergraduate Advising

All undergraduate students should check to confirm their advisors' name and contact information. Students in the Morrissey College of Arts and Sciences who want to switch from a major to “undeclared” must go to the Academic Advising Center in Stokes S140. A Morrissey College of Arts and Sciences student who wants to request a change of his/her major advisor should visit his/her major department’s office. CSOM students should visit the CSOM office, Fulton 360; CSON students, the CSON office, Cushing 202; LSOE students, the LSOE office, Campion 106.

Back to the top

Closed and Restricted Courses

Courses listed in the Schedule of Courses that are restricted by school, degree, or major are marked with an asterisk (*), and the specific restrictions are labeled underneath. Students who want an override into a closed or restricted course should go to the department offering the course. The department may decline the request, add the course to your schedule, or give you an override to be processed in the Office of Student Services. You cannot process overrides through U-View.

The override form must be stamped in the appropriate section:

  • “Open/Restricted” overrides school, major, degree, and department restrictions.
  • “Override for a Closed Course” overrides all restrictions and size limits for closed courses.
  • “Approval for Time Conflict” overrides a corequisite or allows you to be registered for two courses that conflict in time.

Back to the top

Course Schedule Information

You can search the listing of BC’s course offerings as follows:

  • By accessing UIS, the University’s Information System.
  • By logging into and choosing the “Course Information and Schedule” link under “My Services.”

The Course Information and Schedule in offers more intuitive ways to explore BC's academic offerings. This searchable schedule includes course descriptions, faculty, meeting times, and room assignments. You may search by term, school, keyword, and subject code (required for MCAS courses).

You can customize your search by using filters to select course number ranges, course levels, meeting days and times, credit hours, and open or closed courses. Remember to clear your filters or Start Over when you begin a new search.

To expand information about a course, click on More Detail to view the short course description. Click on the course title to view a more detailed course description, including any course pre or co requisites and Core requirements, and links to course evaluations, and textbook information, if available. Access to course evaluation surveys are also available from the Course Information and Schedule landing page.

For more information, including FAQs, visit the Course Information and Schedule web page at or the eSyllabus webpage at

Back to the top

Course Evaluation Surveys

Because your opinion matters, the Office of Student Services urges you to complete your evaluation surveys for your classes. Course evaluation surveys will be released during the final week of the course and will close the day after the final exam. You will receive an e-mail announcement the day the online course evaluation survey period opens.

Evaluating courses online is fast, easy, convenient, secure, anonymous, confidential, and above all, important! Course evaluation results are used by faculty to improve teaching, and they are a significant component in the promotion and tenure process.

Watch for the e-mail announcing the opening of the course evaluation period.

Back to the top

Course Evaluation Survey Results

Use our streamlined search tool to find out how your peers rated BC’s instructors and courses. You can now search course evaluation surveys by department, course code, or instructor from the Course Information and Schedule link in the My Services section of your account.

Back to the top

Woods College of Advancing Studies (WCAS)

WCAS designates a limited number of courses that are available to full-time undergraduate day students. All full-time undergraduate students are limited to one WCAS course each semester. Freshmen may not enroll in any WCAS courses.

WCAS courses can be used to fulfill elective requirements. Students must check with the appropriate department if they intend to use a WCAS course to fulfill a Core or major requirement. There are a limited number of seats in each course, and they are distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. Check with the WCAS office, St. Mary's Hall, ground floor for more information.

Back to the top



Undergraduate students may not audit a course, with the exception of undergraduates in WCAS.

Back to the top

Credit Variation

If you need to change the number of credits for a course, pick up a “Graduate Credit Variation" form from the Office of Student Services. Have the form approved by the Associate Dean of your school and return it to Lyons Hall by January 23, 2019. After January 23, bring the form to the Office of Student Services and pay for the additional credits.

Back to the top


E-mail accounts are automatically created for all full-time undergraduate and all graduate students. The Office of Student Services sends all notifications to your BC e-mail account. To view your e-mail address, log on to Go to “My Services” and select “E-mail Settings” to view your e-mail address. To forward your BC account to another e-mail account, click on “Configure E-mail Preferences.”

Back to the top

University Communication Policies and Student Responsibilities

Back to the top

Graduation Information

Diploma Names

All students graduating in the 2018–2019 academic year must confirm their diploma names by the dates listed below:

  • October 1, 2018 for December 30, 2018 graduation
  • February 1, 2019 for May 20, 2019 graduation
  • May 1, 2019 for August 30, 2019 graduation

To confirm your diploma name, go to and select “Diploma Name Information – View/Edit” from your “My Services” menu. Enter your Eagle ID number to view your information. Your name will appear as it is listed on the University’s student system. Follow the directions and post your password at the bottom of the screen, even if you have no changes. This will ensure that your diploma is ordered correctly and that you are listed in the Commencement Program.

Back to the top

Graduation Dates

Boston College has three graduation dates—December 30, August 30, and May (date varies yearly). If you believe that you have completed all of your degree requirements as of the end of the previous semester and should have graduated, contact your Academic Recorder:

  • MCAS: Terry Lepore, 617-552-4989
  • CSOM, CSON, CSON—Graduate Programs, Law, LSOE, WCAS, WGCAS: Caitlin Walsh, 617-552-4984
  • CSOM—Graduate Programs, MCAS—Graduate Programs, SSW, LSOE—Graduate Programs, STM: Karen Livingston, 617-552-4872

Back to the top

Loan Certification

The National Student Clearinghouse will process deferment forms for spring 2019 on January 25, in accordance with Federal regulations. If you need an enrollment certification for deferment of a student loan, mail the forms to the Office of Student Services, Lyons Hall, Chestnut Hill, MA 02467, or stop by Lyons Hall. Your deferment form will be forwarded to the National Student Clearinghouse. If the enrollment certification does not require an official school seal or signature, you may process the certification through

Back to the top

Mailing Address Update

Undergraduate and graduate students can change their local, home, or parents’ addresses and telephone numbers through by selecting the “Addresses/Phone Numbers” link under the “Account and Personal Info” list in “My Services.” Keeping your addresses up-to-date will ensure that you receive important mailings from the University such as graduation clearance requirements and campus parking permits. The University will also be able to contact you in case of emergencies.

Back to the top


Eligible students may sign-up to take a course pass/fail through at the time they register. To declare a course pass/fail in the School of Social Work, contact Liz Cinquino at 617-552-4020. STM students should contact Donna Derosa at 617-552-8440. Students in CGSOM, MCAS—G, LGSOE, and WGCAS may not take a course counting toward the degree pass/fail.

Back to the top

The Office of Student Services, Lyons Hall

The staff in the Office of Student Services can assist you with questions concerning the following academic and financial services:

  • Enrollment certifications
  • Financial aid
  • Student loans
  • IDs
  • Payments
  • Parking permits
  • Registration
  • Student accounts and tuition and fees
  • Notary services can also be provided.

You may contact the Office of Student Services in person (Lyons Hall), by telephone (800-294-0294 or 617-552-3300), fax (617-552-4889), or e-mail ( You may also visit for general academic and financial information, forms, and online transactions.

Back to the top

Student Services on the Web (

Listed below are the Student Services currently available through

  • Receive an online bill
  • View/change directory information
  • View classmate rosters
  • View course history, current schedule, and grades
  • View Degree Audit (undergraduates)
  • View employment information including deductions and paycheck information
  • View Financial Aid applications and awards
  • View meal plan balances
  • View student account
Online Transactions:
  • Authorize Third-Party Payers (MyBill)
  • Confirm your diploma name
  • Complete medical insurance waiver
  • Create/add to Eagle Bucks account
  • Create a second billing address
  • Optional Dining/Eagle Bucks account
  • Pay tuition and fees (online billing)
  • Request a degree audit
  • Request enrollment certifications
  • Request an official academic transcript
  • Request an e-refund
  • Request replacement IDs and deactivate lost IDs
  • Set privacy preferences
  • Simulate a degree audit

Back to the top


Academic transcript requests may be submitted through Requests are usually processed within 48 to 72 hours of receipt. The Transcript Office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Call 617-552-8700 if you have any questions. There is no charge for a transcript. For more information, visit

Back to the top

Disability Services Office

Services for undergraduate and graduate students with hearing, visual, mobility, medical, psychiatric, and temporary disabilities are coordinated through Rory Stein, the Assistant Dean for Students with Disabilities. Academic support services provided to students who provide appropriate documentation are individualized and may include, but are not limited to, sign language interpreters, CART services, electronic textbooks, extended time on exams, alternate testing locations, facilitation of program modification, course under-loads, readers, scribes, and note-takers. The Assistant Dean works with each student individually to determine the appropriate accommodations necessary for the student’s full participation in college programs and activities. For more information, contact the Assistant Dean at 617-552-3470 or visit the website at

Services and accommodations for students with Learning Disabilities and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder are coordinated through the Connors Family Learning Center. The Center, located in O’Neill Library, provides academic support services and accommodations to undergraduate students. The Center’s services are extensive and vary depending upon the unique needs of the individual student. For more information, please contact Dr. Kathy Duggan at 617-552-8093, or visit the website at

Back to the top

Financial Information

Billing Information

Tuition and fees for undergraduates are due by December 10, 2018. Restrictions will be placed on any account not resolved by the due date. These restrictions include denied access to the Athletic Complex, use of the ID card and Meal Plan, and the ability to drop and add courses. In addition, a $150.00 late payment fee will be assessed on any account that is not resolved by the due date. In severe cases, students will be withdrawn from the University. Please note all billing statements are sent electronically to Visit for more information.

Scholarship holders are not exempt from payment of registration fees, acceptance fees, insurance, and miscellaneous fees at the time prescribed.

Tuition and fees for the Graduate Schools of Management, Arts and Sciences, Education, Nursing, Social Work, and School of Theology and Ministry are billed on or about mid-December 2018. Payment is due by January 11. All students should be registered for the fall semester by December 10. The tuition for the Law School is due by December 10, 2018. There is a $150.00 late payment fee for payments received after the due date. In severe cases, students whose accounts are not resolved by the due date may be withdrawn from the University.

Questions regarding billing and payment should be directed to the Office of Student Services, Lyons Hall, at 617-552-3300 or 800-294-0294.

Back to the top


The University offers web-based payments directly from your savings or checking account. You may make an e-payment through the MyBill option through or at

The University does not accept credit card payments for tuition, fees, or room and board, except for the students in the Woods College of Advancing Studies (WCAS).

Back to the top