- Scanlan, M., Lowenhaupt, R., & López, F. (in preparation). Educational equity for refugee populations: A review of literature.
Academic Journal Articles
- Miller, P. M., Scanlan, M., & Phillippo, K. (in press). Rural cross-sector collaboration: A social frontier analysis American Educational Research Journal.
- Scanlan, M.. & Zisselberger, M. (in press). The Formation of Communities of Practice in a Network of Schools Serving Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students. Journal of Education for Students Placed at Risk.
Academic Book Chapters
- Scanlan, M. (forthcoming). In G. Theoharis & S. Dotger (Eds.), On the high wire: Education professors walk between work and parenting. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- López, F., Scanlan, M., & Proctor, P. (in press). The use of formative assessment to improve instruction of English learners and evaluation of teachers.
- Theoharis, G., & Scanlan, M. (2015). Leadership for Increasingly Diverse Schools. New York: Routledge/ Taylor and Francis Group. Blog link: http://www.leadership4inclusivity.org/
- Scanlan, M., & López, F. (2014). Leadership for Culturally and Linguistically Responsive Schools. New York, NY: Routledge / Taylor and Francis Group.
Academic Journal Articles
- Scanlan, M. (2016). The changing colors of maple hills: Intersections of culture, race, language, and exceptionality in a rural farming community. Journal of Cases in Educational Leadership, 19(1), 62-69.
- Scanlan, M., Kim, M., Vuilleumier, C., & Burns, M. B. (2016). Poco a poco: Leadership practices supporting productive communities of practice in schools serving the new mainstream. Educational Administration Quarterly, 52(1), 3-44.
- López, F., Scanlan, M., & Gorman, B. (2015). Language Modeling and Reading Achievement: Variations across Different Types of Language Acquisition Settings. Reading & Writing Quarterly, 31, 1-29.
- Miller, P. M., Scanlan, M., & Wills, N. (2014). Leadership on the social frontier: Principals’ roles in comprehensive reform settings. Principal's Research Review, 9(2), 1-6.
- Scanlan, M., & Tichy, K. (2014). How do private sector schools serve the public good by fostering inclusive service delivery models? Theory into Practice, 53(2), 149-157.
- Scanlan, M., & Theoharis, G. (2014). This issue. Theory into Practice, 53(2), 79-81.
- Miller, P. M., Wills, N., & Scanlan, M. (2013). Educational leadership on the social frontier: Developing promise neighborhoods in urban and tribal settings. Educational Administration Quarterly, 49(4), 543-575. http://eaq.sagepub.com/content/49/4/543
- Lopez, F., Scanlan, M., & Gundrum, B. (2013). Preparing teachers of English language learners: Empirical evidence and policy implications. Educational Policy Analysis Archives, 21(20), 1- 35.
- Scanlan, M. (2013). A learning architecture: How school leaders can design for learning social justice. Educational Administration Quarterly, 49(2), 348-391.
- Scanlan, M., & Miller, P. M. (2013). In fits and starts: Learning to create a neighborhood educational opportunity zone. Teachers College Record, 115(5).
Academic Monographs / Chapters / White Papers
- Scanlan, M. (2014). Inclusion of students with disabilities in Catholic schools. In P. Bauch & T. Hunt (Eds.), Catholic schools in the public interest: Past, present, future (pp. 193 - 220). Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishers.
- Scanlan, M., & Lopez, F. (2013). Leadership promoting equity and excellence for bilingual students. In L. C. Tillman & J. J. Scheurich (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Educational Leadership for Diversity and Equity. New York: Routledge/Taylor and Francis.
- Scanlan, M., & Hughes, W. (2013). White Paper: Best practices in urban school leadership. MIlwaukee Area Deans of Education.
- Scanlan, M. (2013). The Breakfast Club: How to structure your school to better serve all students. In P. Robey (Ed.), Secondary Catholic School Leadership. Washington, D.C.: National Catholic Educational Association.
- Scanlan, M., & Lopez, F. (2013). Leadership promoting equity and excellence for bilingual students. In L. C. Tillman & J. J. Scheurich (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Educational Leadership for Diversity and Equity New York: Routledge/Taylor and Francis.
- Scanlan, M., & Lowenhaupt, R. (2014, May 6, 2014). How to fix the achievement gaps, The Podium Editorial. Boston Globe. Retrieved from http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2014/05/06/how-fix-achievement-gaps/cX7VmB1UYUrUSiHzqhD0OP/story.html
- lScanlan, M. (2011, 3/21/2011) Charter school changes would hurt quality Retrieved from http://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion/118397744.html
- Scanlan, M. (2010, 2/28/2010). Decades later, still separate and unequal. Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Retrieved from http://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion/85569432.html